Thursday, October 16, 2014

Nursing Informatics ~ A Self Reflection

The NLN’s core competencies for nurse educators includes tasks aimed at addressing informatics competencies. To advance student learning the educator should employ and embrace information technologies, be prepared to perform routine self-assessments of informatics skills, and demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning.With these competencies in mind, I have examined my own informatics competence. I have determined that I am neither a “digital native”; nor am I “digitally naive”. I consider myself more of a “digital immigrant”, learning the culture and the language by living within the culture. I took the opportunity to perform a web-based self-assessment of my technology skills that when scored, reported my assessment as: “confident of ability to use a variety of computer programs. Sees computers as beneficial in the development of society. Confident of ability to use a variety of computer programs. Sees computers as beneficial in the development of society. Enthusiastic view of the potential of computer use in healthcare”.

Throughout my career, I have had technological opportunities offered to me that I’m sure were related to my natural technological interest [a.k.a. talents]. Some of these opportunities include an invitation to participate in computerized nursing documentation implementation workgroups, and an IV infusion pump technology workgroup. My computer skills are mostly self-taught through the process of experimentation, and wonderment. Many of my recreational moments are spent with my laptop. For the most part, I believe my technology skills are above average. However, in the vein of self-reflection, my technological skills are not without the need for improvement. I have always desired to advance my skills with performance software such as MS Excel, while learning more software keyboard shortcuts, and  better troubleshooting skills for those frustrating problematic moments that are inherent with computer technology. I also desire to obtain improved “Smart Board” skills, as my very limited experience with the use of the device has not been intuitive.
 I have found that when it comes to technology, a little education can go a long way. Much of the learning required to obtain technology competence is generally done by exploring and discovery. This can be evidenced by the 6 weeks spent in a Nursing Informatics class. During this short period of time, I was able to build upon my current skills. The completion of some of the assigned skills such as professional web-based searches, audio and video recording, web-conferencing, making interesting presentations using tools available on the intranet, and creating and maintaining a blog helped to advance my overall computer skills and broadened by vision of what is technologically available. Additionally, sharing this class experience with classmates also facilitated the advancement of my skills, as there was much sharing of skills occurring between the student-learners. I now live in a world beyond PowerPoint presentations and handouts.
As I advance into the nurse educator role, I intend to routinely perform a self-assessment of my skills, knowledge, abilities, and attitude towards the curriculum and necessary competencies. I look forward to a shared learning culture with my learners, as I am sure they have much to teach, as well as to learn. When performing a routine self-assessment, and self-reflection, it is important to review current recommended competencies, while reviewing rich web-based resources, such as those available on the NLNwebsite.  Recognizing certification programs promote excellence in nursing, education, and health care, the nurse educator may find it beneficial to obtain a CNE (Certified Nurse Educator), DPR (Digital Patient Record), or other appropriate certification which reflects a commitment to nursing informatics.


No comments:

Post a Comment