Monday, October 20, 2014

A Letter To My Future Students...


Dear Partners-in-Learning,
I am so excited to be a part of your educational experience, and am looking forward to a sharing relationship based on mutual caring and respect. I envision my role, as an educator, to function much like a guide, facilitator, or navigator as we construct your learning experiences.
Prior to exploring the possibilities of a student-centered educational paradigm, my approach to education was somewhat unrealistic and uni-dimensional. I had felt that educational relationships equaled the teacher teaching, and the student learning. In other words, I felt the learning relationship was a one-way street where the teacher was responsible for dispensing education, while the student’s accountability was to consume and digest what was being dispensed, as a take-it or leave-it opportunity.  This teacher-centered educational approach mimics how I was taught during most of my educational experiences. Looking back upon my own nursing education, I recognized and wanted to reflect some of the excellent characteristics of my most memorable educators; however, I did not truly understand, nor appreciate the benefits of the educational paradigm of student-centeredness, based on a learning theory of constructivism, nor the benefits of an active learning environment.


Many opportunities have been afforded to me, by continuing my education. Specifically, I have been allowed to reflect upon, invest in, and embrace some evidence-supported educational theories, teaching strategies, and other practices to help guide me as a nurse educator. I have begun to build a toolbox of teaching strategies, and evaluation tools that, I hope, will promote your learning. Within my toolbox are some excellent technology based learning tools that can be used to advance our learning, while improving our computer, and writing skills. Using some of these growing technologies will support our active learning environment while providing some moments of fun; however we should never lose sight of our learning objectives. As I promote our technological learning opportunities, I will attempt to recognize and respond to the needs of those students considered to be digital natives, digital immigrants, or those digitally naive. For those learners that consider themselves, digitally naive, fear not: as we will have many technological resources available to support your learning.  For those considered digital natives, please know that I am more of a digital immigrant, and I look forward to you sharing your skills. Our experiences together will not only help to advance your educational and technological learning, but will further add teaching strategies to my toolbox.
To help move us forward in our partners-in-learning relationship, I charge each of us to follow my growing list of commandments of learning:
  •          Always be respectful
  •          Be open to explore alternative learning opportunities
  •          Communicate clearly
  •          Demonstrate caring
  •          Embrace and encourage other perspectives
  •          Be flexible
  •          Be present, invested and involved in the active-learning process
  •          Appreciate and enjoy the Aha! Moments


Greater learning success will be reaped once we partner our best efforts. 
Together we can!


“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.” 
–Plutarch (Roman historian, biographer, and essayist)


No comments:

Post a Comment